Quality Engineer at Atlassian
Apply to Atlassian
Apply to Atlassian
We, Quality Engineers, in the Atlassian Server Team are embedded in product teams to provide quality assistance, define and improve processes, identify and mitigate risks & implement tooling and automation solutions. Instead of performing manual tests and writing automated tests, we look at the bigger picture and find the best solutions to improve the quality of our products while helping improve development speed.
As a Quality Engineer, you'll be overseeing the Server Jira Service Desk team in Sydney. You'll play a crucial part in everything we do to improve quality, speed up development time, and ship better products more consistently. In an Agile development environment, you are working directly with developers on innovative projects and outstanding products, whilst collaborating with product managers, designers and support engineers.
You'll lead the efforts in assessing and mitigating risks, solving quality challenges and implementing efforts to address engineering efficiency with the backing of data. You will also be training and coaching developers on quality assurance, and improving processes across the wider Server team together with the rest of the highly-talented and supportive Server QEs.
You're a great fit for this position if you want to help ship awesome software, not just prevent poor software from being released!
We understand that shipping awesome software requires more than just testing. It involves improvements to processes, tools and testing approaches. It involves collaborating closely with and training developers, diving deep into code and innovating constantly. If you're someone who actively advocates and implements change, someone who continually develops and balances both technical and soft skills, someone who understands that making great software requires the prevention of problems and not just finding them, then this position was made for you!
What are the kind of things QEs can do? Well, here is a short list of our accomplishments:
- Creating services that monitor for risky coding patterns, and providing insights to the developer before merging their work to master
- Convincing a team to architect their code in a different way to make it more testable
- Pairing with developers to train them in efficient testing techniques (including exploratory testing)
- Augmenting a team's build pipeline with the right environment to test platform changes
- Analysing incidents to identify the optimal point to prevent reoccurrences in the future
- Building a heat map of the complete picture of performance testing results against certain product offerings
- Analysing automation coverage to determine the most valuable area to focus on
We are looking for someone who is not only a champion of product quality, but also understands risks related to people and process.
The outcomes of this role include
- The team reports increased confidence in product quality
- The team understands their level of product, process, and people risk
- The team is able to measure and gain insights into their improvements to the product quality
The above outcomes are based on work done by the QE
- Using data to identify where product improvements should be prioritised
- Leading the team on process creation or improvement
- Advising the team on the best approaches to product development
- Working with the team leads to assess the level of risk in the product roadmap and upcoming work
- Coaching the team on ownership and maintenance of their CI
- Implementing solutions that allow the team to work faster
Additional responsibilities of the role include
- Ongoing assessment of test automation suites to find opportunities for improvement in efficiency and effectiveness.
- Identifying, promoting and supporting the adoption of innovative tooling and approaches to drive high-quality product and engineering practices in the team.
- Providing coaching or identifying specialists to provide support in aspects of product quality such as serviceability, recoverability, performance, security, disaster recovery, internationalisation and accessibility.
To achieve the above, most of the following experience is a must
- QA support for end-to-end product or feature development (includes contributing to the acceptance criteria, assessing and flagging risks)
- Different levels of testing (unit, integration, acceptance, exploratory)
- Defining QA processes for a project team
- Define quality goals in a project or team and measuring these
- Designing and/or implementing simple solutions (process improvement, tooling, etc.)
The following skills/experience are a plus
- Coaching others on quality assurance and testing
- Leading initiatives with a group of people
- Improvements to the CI/CD process (e.g. integrating automated tests and other checks)
- Developing automated tests or small software projects in any language
- Performance testing and improvements
- Knowledge in the following technologies: AWS, Java
Moreover, we take the Atlassian Values to heart. It is expected for each and every Atlassian to uphold and build these values into your team and those around you.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who’s who of tech is why we’re here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned—collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we’re looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we’re committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
More jobs at Atlassian
- 341 George Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000
- 363 George Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000