Software Engineer at FloodMapp
$90k - $140k in Fortitude Valley, QLD
Apply to FloodMapp
Apply to FloodMapp
FloodMapp is a rapidly growing tech company scaling across Australia & the USA to save lives and prevent damage from flooding.
Flooding is becoming more frequent and more severe each year. It is the costliest natural disaster, causing billions in damages and taking thousands of lives across the globe each year. Most of this occurs because businesses and individuals do not have access to location-specific flood forecasts.
FloodMapp offers real-time flood forecasting at continental scale; delivered as a live mapping feed to help users understand who and what is in danger and subsequently prevent lives being lost, and damage to assets. Our ground-breaking modelling technology, DASH, introduces big data, automation and machine learning to traditional flood modelling techniques to deliver a world-first live mapping solution.
At FloodMapp, people are our main focus, because hard problems require an exceptional team. As a diverse team, we value empathy, inclusion and communication. The nature of our complex product requires a multidisciplinary team; with many team members coming from different technical backgrounds from flood engineering to data science. We prioritise collaboration, cross training and peer mentorship, with each team member encouraged to bring their ideas to the table. Everyone is passionate about solving a growing global problem. We work to build a safer future and make a global impact.
About the role:
As a mid to senior level software engineer at FloodMapp, you’ll be an instrumental member of our multidisciplinary engineering team.
At FloodMapp, you will:
- Write plenty of python
- Help to design, build, and run our growing platform
- Work in a small team that thrives on solving big problems
- Be exposed to a plethora of technologies ranging from GIS tools, to machine learning libraries, and all manner of infrastructure
- Deploy to production almost every day
- Efficiently handle large volumes of real-time data
- Share your skills with others through technical mentoring and code reviews
- Be continuously learning about GIS, hydrology, hydraulics and cloud infrastructure
Experience & Skills:
- Good background in software development with experience in writing high-performance quality code in Python
- Experience and knowledge of building and maintaining AWS infrastructure
- Experience wrangling and manipulating large volumes of data in PostgreSQL
- Familiarity with Docker
It’s great, but not required if you have:
- Devops experience, especially using Terraform
- Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies
You are driven to make a positive impact and not afraid to take on big challenges and long term goals to do so. You should be comfortable in voicing your opinions and bringing your ideas to the table, whilst also being able to collaborate with the team. We value your integrity, communication, accountability and compassion.
This is a great opportunity to get in early and be part of a fast-moving, venture-backed tech company solving real world problems on a global scale. We’re building a world-first technology to take on the growing impacts of climate change and would love you to join on our mission to save lives across the globe.
Benefits and perks:
- Competitive salary & opportunity to get stock options via our ESOP plan
- Bonus paid day of birthday leave each year
- Bonus two paid days of reboot leave each year to promote mental & physical health
- Employee Wellness Program
- End-of-Trip Facilities: bicycle parking and showers with a free towel service
- Team events & celebrations
- Free aeropress coffee (don’t worry the team will show you how to brew it)
- Stocked fruit bowl for a healthy snack
- We’re based in The Precinct with the QLD AI hub. There are regular tech meetups and social events for all of the startups based in the building
We believe that the unique ideas brought from all of our amazing FloodMappers is the key to our success. To create an inclusive and diverse culture, we welcome, encourage and celebrate applicants of any race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
This role is based in Brisbane (Fortitude Valley)
$90k - $140k package dependant on skills and experience
Visit our careers page. Please be sure to include your cover letter and resume.
- 315 Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley, QLD, 4006