Head of Legal/General Counsel at Plenti
Apply to Plenti
Apply to Plenti
We believe the financial system has become bloated and inefficient so we’re using technology and data to give value - and power - back to the consumer. Our ambition is huge and the only way we can achieve it is by bringing together the best people in the world. That's where you come in.
Who are we?
Plenti is Australia's leading technology-led consumer lending and investment business. We are on a mission to challenge the status quo. We have opened-up consumer credit to everyday Australians. We are also disrupting the automotive, renewable energy, personal and legal loan markets. We’ve funded $1bn+ in loans and earlier this year we listed on the ASX, raising funds to help take our business to the next level.
What's the opportunity?
Reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer as Head of Legal, you will provide counsel to Plenti board, executive, product and business teams on legal issues, with particular focus on financial services regulatory frameworks, privacy law, disputes (including EDR), AML/CTF, consumer law and data protection matters.
As a trusted advisor to our business, you’ll be responsible for providing legal solutions with a strong commercial overlay. You will play an integral role in the organisation’s operations and participate in special projects/assignments of strategic importance to the organisation. Over time, you may move into the role of company secretary.
What will you be responsible for?
- Developing, maintaining and overseeing Plenti's compliance program to ensure compliance with relevant regulatory and contractual obligations.
- Leading and supporting the growth of a high-performing legal and compliance team as our business continues to grow.
- Structuring, drafting and negotiating key commercial arrangements with our referral, supplier and customer partners including state and federal government agreements.
- Supporting the CFO and Board in relation to company secretarial matters, including board governance, ASX listing rules, Corporations Act compliance and legal aspects of investor relations.
- Monitoring legislative/regulatory changes and providing advice to proactively identify issues which may impact strategy, operational issues or business processes.
- Advising on and managing litigation and legal disputes including EDR and industry body determinations.
- Managing outside counsel to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of critical matters.
What will make you successful in this role?
- Tertiary qualifications in law and admission to practice in NSW or another State or Territory.
- Minimum 10 years relevant PQE in a tier one firm, government agency or in-house legal team.
- Well-developed leadership and stakeholder management skills with the ability to lead effectively, coach and develop a professional legal team.
- Hands-on working knowledge of financial services, consumer credit and privacy laws and risk and compliance governance would be an advantage not required.
- Excellent project management skills, attention to detail, and ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent judgment, ability to navigate ambiguity and evolving regulatory spaces, and provide practical, solutions-oriented legal advice.
- Strong awareness of developments in the legal and regulatory environment affecting corporate and consumer lending.
- Sound knowledge of Australian laws and current issues applying to financial markets products and market practice.
What's life like at Plenti?
- We value openness and ideas more than anything else - it doesn't matter who you are in the business, we want your input
- Your career at Plenti is what you make it - there are Plenti of career opportunities to match your own plan for growth - so you can grab them and run
- A phenomenal group of driven and intelligent colleagues
- A sincere purpose which every person truly believes in
- Flexible working arrangements
- Monthly company events
- Employee Assistance Program
- Sometimes we even head out and race boats against one another!
- Ultimately, a hard working but enjoyable environment, where everyone strives to ensure we offer great products to customers and grow rapidly
- 14 Martin Place, Sydney CBD, NSW, 2000