Senior Platform Software Engineer at Vero
Apply to Vero
You can learn more about life at Vero on our website.Apply to Vero
Vero is the messaging platform that scales personalisation.
We enable engineers and marketers to work together to track, store and organise their data and workflows to power more useful email and push messages. We've tracked over six billion actions for more than five hundred million end-users and we're growing quickly.
About the role
You will be working closely with Vero's Head of Engineering and the senior engineers who make up our Platform Team. The Platform Team is responsible for Vero's high-volume cloud infrastructure with a focus on delivering a resilient, highly performant and scalable product. The platform team is responsible for the data ingestion, messaging and workflow services at Vero.
We use AWS extensively, as do many of our customers. We are looking for a talented Senior Software Engineer with specific exposure across an array of AWS deployments and projects who can help ensure we're improving on core elements of our infrastructure as technology and customer needs change, and as we build out new features and products.
This role is crucial to the continued, long-term success of Vero.
This role will be based in Sydney at our HQ in Surry Hills.
- Think ahead and build for the future as opposed to band-aid fixes for today. We need to balance the “getting things done” part of a startup with long-term future-proofing of Vero's infrastructure.
- Work with the engineering leadership team to develop new initiatives and improve existing processes across the entire engineering team, particularly with regard to code quality and DevOps.
- Help deliver engineering projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to ensure Vero's overall reliability, performance, security, and stability.
- Taking a customer-focused approach to technical work.
- Develop tools and applications by producing clean, efficient code.
We're looking for someone to join our team who can ensure we build architecture for the long-term. You need to have a strong problem-solving ability and the aptitude to consider the big picture when solving engineering challenges. We strive for elegant solutions that are as simple yet as effective as possible. Scalability and resilience are the key aspects of this role.
We expect that you'll have an interest in and respect for both the latest technologies available on cloud providers, as well as traditional technologies such as PostgreSQL. We have found that often tools and frameworks tried-and-tested over decades provide the most elegant solutions.
Three key values lived at Vero are
- Humility. We listen and learn. We aim for as little politics and ego as possible at Vero.
- Empathy. We're a remote team with people from all over the world. We believe in inclusivity and work hard to understand and support each other.
- Care. People at Vero look out for each other. We work together to achieve tasks, and we back each other up.
We're proud of our culture and if these values sound on point to you, we'd love to hear from you!
- Experience and a strong interest in databases and data storage (PostgreSQL, MySQL), key-value stores, messaging, and distributed systems.
- Experience delivering projects at scale, and making sound engineering choices to set us up for future growth and success.
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude.
- Alongside cloud experience, a strong fundamental understanding of distributed systems, high availability, and backend components such as databases, web protocols, and networking is key to success in this role.
- Coding/scripting knowledge in Bash, Ruby and Java or a C-based language.
- BSc/BA in Computer Science or a related degree.
- Experience using system monitoring tools (e.g. New Relic) and automated testing frameworks.
- Ability to work independently
- Competitive salary.
- Flexible work. Work in the way that produces your best results. Many of our team members work from home one day a week, others come to the office every day and many are completely remote. We’re committed to helping you feel like you can be the happiest and most productive you.
- Team conference. We host an annual team conference to get together as a team, challenge the status quo and expand our vision for the future.
- Parental leave. We offer a generous parental leave policy.
- Visa Application. We cover visa application and processing fees to sponsor team members in relocating to Sydney, Australia.
You can learn more about life at Vero on our website.
- 251 Riley Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010