Software Engineer (Data Infrastructure) at Canva
Job DescriptionApply to Canva
At Canva, we work every day to make a significant positive impact on society. Our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform!
Since launch in April 2013 we have grown exponentially, amassing over 15 million users in over 100 languages. We are one of the world’s fastest growing technology companies with software engineering being the core part of who we are.
As a Data Engineer at Canva, you will be building out the infrastructure to support the efforts of the Data Science and Data Analytics capability across the entire business - ensuring we continue to deliver business value and rich features and functionality to our millions of users around the world.
Some of the technologies in our environment include Python, Docker, Scala, Spark, Java (when we interact with the application repository), Terraform, Kubernetes, and Argo. You'll also be heavily exposed to the tools we use within AWS, including Elastic MapReduce (EMR).
- Designing, building, future-proofing and operating large scale data infrastructure in production (performance, reliability, monitoring)
- Thinking through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
- Responsibility for the continued development of new features, functionality, and optimisation from raw data ingestion, to the access and serving layers
- Responsibility for the delivery of of Data projects from inception to deployment across a wide range of initiatives across the business; in conjunction with Growth, Experiments, Analytics, and the Data Science Team
Required experience and skills
- Previous commercial experience in large distributed environment, ideally utilising Java, Python, or Scala
- Experience writing MapReduce and/or Apache Spark jobs in a high load production environment
- An understanding of distributed data processing methodologies, frameworks, and best practices
- An understanding of the broader Hadoop and Big Data ecosystem – tools such as Presto, Airflow, Luigi, etc
- Experience working in cloud-hosted Linux environments (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure)
- Solid understanding of databases with solid working knowledge of SQL
- Clear communication skills and ability to work cross-functionally across the business
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- On-site gym; Yoga Membership
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
More jobs at Canva
- 110 Kippax Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010