Finance & Strategy Manager, International at Square
Job DescriptionApply to Square
Our mission is simple: we want to help people everywhere start, run and grow a business. We’re a fast-moving global fintech company building the tools entrepreneurs need to simplify and streamline every business process, from accepting card payments and online invoicing to inventory management, real-time analytics, employee management and powerful data reporting. Now supporting millions of businesses worldwide, Square is recognised as a leader in financial technology, currently rated third in Fast Company’s 2018 edition of the World’s Most Innovative Companies. As we continue to expand globally, we are looking to drive that innovation further by scaling our smart, dedicated and passionate workforce in new markets. Square was founded in 2009 by Jack Dorsey and Jim McKelvey and is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices now operating across the United States, Canada, Japan, the UK and Australia.
Finance & Strategy is responsible for improving strategic, financial and operational decision-making across the company. Our team’s core value is trust – we build it by making what is complex simple, and with analysis that is accurate and easy-to-understand. Business partners appreciate our insight and trust us to help them solve difficult problems across the company. At Square we believe that good ideas can come from anywhere, and we’ll trust you to collaborate with others, form intelligent opinions, and present your thoughts to decision-makers and the executive team.
The Square Seller business provides products and services that helps sellers start, run, and grow their businesses and participate in the economy. The foundation of our offerings is a full service, managed payments offering and extends to include point-of-sale software and services that help sellers make informed business decisions on their orders, inventory, locations, employees, and customers. We have grown rapidly to serve millions of sellers that represent a diverse set of industries and sizes, and span geographies including the United States, Canada, Japan, Australia, and the United Kingdom. The Seller team includes both product business teams, as well as go-to-market and operational functional teams.
International is one of Square’s strategic priorities and represents a key growth vector for the company. That growth is fuelled by investment in existing markets, as well as evaluation of potential new markets. International success requires a large cross-functional effort: product, go-to-market, and operational teams must work cohesively to enable sellers globally to thrive in the economy.
We are looking for passionate individuals who will work as a member of Square’s Finance & Strategy team, leading efforts to support our product teams. This leader will play an integral part in Square’s success by working directly with Square’s product business and finance leaders, driving financial planning and business forecasting, and developing strategic analysis around key business initiatives. This role is based in Melbourne Australia, and will primarily focus on supporting the Japan market.
- Act as the primary Finance Business Partner (FBP) with key business units within our Seller organisation and collaborate across all levels and business functions in the organisation
- Apply an analytical approach to support strategic decisions, including projects on pricing design and analysis, customer behaviour analysis and economics, LTV / ROI of marketing efforts, market/competitive landscape benchmarking, and other data-driven analysis
- Create analyses that facilitates clear and timely decision making, actively mining data from our databases to predict short-term and long-term trends
- Evaluate business performance; report and analyse the performance; identify any risks or opportunities associated with reported financial data
- Regularly partner with business functions (e.g. Accounting, Business Intelligence and Data Analytics, Sales and Marketing, and others) to analyse and report on the financial impact of decisions across the company
- Prepare analysis and support communication to product leaders, board members and executive staff
- Lead the financial planning process for key product and business teams; including building/maintaining operating and financial models, managing investment budgets for teams to ensure they have resource allocations to invest properly behind key initiatives
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business, Economics, or other relevant field
- 4 to 8 years of relevant industry experience
- Excellent proficiency in financial modelling and Excel (you should be prepared for a case study)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Consistent track record of success and career progression
- Exceptional judgement and maturity, including an ability to execute independently and work with team members of all levels
- Experience with payments industry a plus
- Experience with SQL and data visualisation tools (Looker)
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
More jobs at Square
- 246 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000