Graphic Designer / Illustrator at Dovetail
Apply to Dovetail
Apply to Dovetail
We’re building a legendary team of creatives to help us make Dovetail a brand people love. Our in-house Creative Studio team are tasked with strengthening our brand and developing a diverse visual style that resonates with our customers and users, and represents who we are. We’re inspired by the brand teams at software companies like Intercom, Dropbox, Mailchimp, and Zendesk.
The Creative Studio will operate as a small cross-functional team inside Dovetail. The team will have huge creative freedom to develop memorable content including merchandise, digital and print illustrations, posters and stationery, written content, videos, and dank memes across a variety of channels.
As a member of the Creative Studio team, you’ll not only work closely with other graphic designers and writers, but also collaborate with our broader product and marketing team including designers, researchers, product marketers, and customer success managers.
Great products are never created from thin air. The secret to creating great products is understanding people. Methodically learning about their behaviors, emotions, and pain points is called user research or customer research.
Often confused with market research, user research is an extremely important part of product development worldwide, and is practiced by thousands of software companies, consulting firms, financial organizations, and governments everywhere.
At some point you’ve probably interacted with a researcher by completing a survey, however there’s much more to user research than surveys. The discipline encompasses a wide variety of methods that generate a lot of unstructured data. User researchers create everything from rough notes to video recordings during usability tests, interviews, and contextual inquiries.
Our intuitive and affordable cloud software helps people inside businesses store and make sense of this unstructured user research data, capture and summarize their findings, and share that with relevant people inside the organization. This helps our customers understand their customers, and therefore they build better products as a result.
Every single product or service organization conducts user research of some form, in order to explore what new products they could build, or to understand what they could improve about existing ones. Our mission is that Dovetail becomes the go-to research platform for these organizations. We’re creating scalable, successful cloud software for user research, similar to what InVision, Slack, and Salesforce have done in their respective markets.
Our culture values responsibility and accountability, trust and openness, efficiency and speed. We’re all about sweating the details on delightful experiences, tackling ambitious technical challenges, and learning twice as fast as anywhere else. We’re extremely customer-focused, regularly talking with customers in-person, via email, or over video. Our company Slack workspace is even shared with over 600 end-users.
No founder dictators here. As an early employee, you will help us shape this culture. We’re building for a healthy, happy team where everyone believes in what they’re working on. We only hire excellent people that you’ll trust and learn from. We’re transparent in everything we do; regularly sharing product decisions, financials, and fundraising plans with everyone on the team, and even customers at times.
Dovetail has been growing rapidly since we first launched in late 2017. We now have hundreds of happy customers worldwide like Arm, BCG, Chargebee, CSIRO Data61, Deliveroo, Deloitte, Harvard, Elsevier, Freshworks, Kayak, Spotify, Thoughtworks, Uniqa, VMware, and many more.
We’re only hiring people that have the skill and passion to grow Dovetail from hundreds of customers to thousands. You need to be best-in-class with relevant previous experience, and you’ll need to get up to speed quickly with minimal training. Over time, you will help us grow our functional teams by taking on a management role.
As a Graphic Designer in the Creative Studio at Dovetail, you will be expected to:
- Design for brand and marketing across multiple channels (web, digital, and print).
- Shape, develop, and experiment with Dovetail’s brand, visual identity, and style.
- Be skilled in organisation and have the ability to prioritise and adhere to deadlines.
- Own projects and work independently to take things from concept to delivery.
- Have impeccable taste, a good eye for aesthetics, and be a stickler for quality.
- Operate with a minimal project brief – most likely as little as “make something dope”.
- Learn quickly and be able to work in an ever-changing fast-paced environment.
- Most of all have fun, do great work, and make cool shit.
Ideally you should have:
- The ability to execute on graphic design across different visual styles.
- A portfolio that showcases a range of work in different styles and mediums.
- Experience with illustration, ideally in a variety of different contemporary styles.
- An expert understanding of visual design including typography, colour, hierarchy, etc.
- An interest and education in the history of graphic design, art, and architecture.
- Experience with video, motion, animation, 3D visualisation or copywriting is a plus.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud, and in digital tools like Sketch or Figma.
- Competitive salary plus equity.
- Flexible working hours – we value work-life balance.
- Personal learning and development budget.
- Office snacks, cereal, sparkling water on tap.
- Sit-stand desks, 4k 27” monitor, Aeron chairs.
- Pet friendly office including a terrace, BBQ, concrete floor.
- Regular events like yoga on Tuesday and monthly social events.
- Regular lunch and learn events with other companies.
This is a full time role in Sydney, Australia. You must have the right to work in Australia to apply for this role. If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, please get in touch via our contact form, attach your CV, and include a link to your portfolio.
- 251 Riley Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010