Product Designer at Dovetail
Apply to Dovetail
Apply to Dovetail
Great products are never created from thin air. The secret to creating great products is understanding people. Methodically learning about their behaviours, emotions, and pain points is called user research or customer research.
Often confused with market research, user research is an extremely important part of product development worldwide, and is practiced by thousands of software companies, consulting firms, financial organisations, and governments everywhere.
At some point you’ve probably interacted with a researcher by completing a survey, however there’s much more to user research than surveys. The discipline encompasses a wide variety of methods that generate a lot of unstructured data. User researchers create everything from rough notes to video recordings during usability tests, interviews, and contextual inquiries.
Our intuitive and affordable cloud software helps people inside businesses store and make sense of this unstructured user research data, capture and summarise their findings, and share that with relevant people inside the organisation. This helps our customers understand their customers, and therefore they build better products as a result.
Every single product or service organisation conducts user research of some form, in order to explore what new products they could build, or to understand what they could improve about existing ones. Our mission is that Dovetail becomes the go-to research platform for these organisations. We’re creating scalable, successful cloud software for user research, similar to what InVision, Slack, and Salesforce have done in their respective markets.
Our culture values responsibility and accountability, trust and openness, efficiency and speed. We’re all about sweating the details on delightful experiences, tackling ambitious technical challenges, and learning twice as fast as anywhere else. We’re extremely customer-focused, regularly talking with customers in-person, via email, or over video. Our company Slack workspace is even shared with over 600 end-users.
No founder dictators here. As an early employee, you will help us shape this culture. We’re building for a healthy, happy team where everyone believes in what they’re working on. We only hire excellent people that you’ll trust and learn from. We’re transparent in everything we do; regularly sharing product decisions, financials, and fundraising plans with everyone on the team, and even customers at times.
Dovetail has been growing rapidly since we first launched in late 2017. We now have hundreds of happy customers worldwide like Arm, BCG, Chargebee, CSIRO Data61, Deliveroo, Deloitte, Harvard, Elsevier, Freshworks, Kayak, Spotify, Thoughtworks, Uniqa, VMware, and many more.
We’re only hiring people that have the skill and passion to grow Dovetail from hundreds of customers to thousands. You need to be best-in-class with relevant previous experience, and you’ll need to get up to speed quickly with minimal training. Over time, you will help us grow our functional teams by taking on a management role.
As a Product Designer at Dovetail, you’ll be expected to:
- Design new features, improvements to existing features, and end-to-end journeys utilising skills across research, user experience, interaction, and visual design.
- Contribute to our overall vision and design direction by facilitating workshops and leaning on skills like conceptual modelling, design thinking, and abstraction.
- Work closely with customers to understand their pain points and requirements and develop detailed and accurate customer personas to help us drive design decisions.
- Add your thoughts around prioritisation decisions and how we talk about features. We’re a small team and don’t yet have a product manager, so we all share the load.
To apply for this role, you should have:
- At least five years experience working as a professional UX / product / interaction designer, with at least two working on sophisticated, modern cloud software.
- A breadth of skills including workshop facilitation, wire-framing, interaction, and visual design to help us improve existing features and create new ones.
- An impeccable quality bar. We strive to provide an exceptional experience, and aren’t opposed to pushing pixels and sweating the details to get things right.
- Experience conducting user research like interviews and usability testing, as well as utilising critical skills like design thinking, prototyping, and conceptual modelling.
- Experience collaborating closely with adjacent roles like developers, designers, product managers, and stakeholders like marketing, support, and customer success.
- An understanding of all roles involved in product development—from PM to marketing—and the ability to explain how each one adds value to the business.
- Excellent, concise communication so you can easily convey your thoughts, opinions, and feelings with other teammates, founders, and customers.
- The right attitude towards a sense of urgency, risk, and uncertainty about the future that comes with working at an early-stage startup.
It would be awesome if you had:
- Experience developing an atomic design system consisting of components, principles, and so on, that is shared between screens and products.
- Competitive salary plus equity.
- Flexible working hours – we value work-life balance.
- Personal learning and development budget.
- Office snacks, cereal, sparkling water on tap.
- Sit-stand desks, 4k 27” monitor, Aeron chairs.
- Pet friendly office including a terrace, BBQ, concrete floor.
- Regular events like yoga on Tuesday and monthly social events.
- Regular lunch and learn events with other companies.
This is a full time role in Sydney, Australia. You must have the right to work in Australia to apply for this role. If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, please get in touch via our contact form, attach your CV, and include a link to your portfolio.
- 251 Riley Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010