Senior Developer at Dovetail
Great products are never created from thin air. The secret to creating great products is understanding people. Methodically learning about their behaviours, emotions, and pain points is called user research or customer research.
Often confused with market research, user research is an extremely important part of product development worldwide, and is practiced by thousands of software companies, consulting firms, financial organisations, and governments everywhere.
At some point you’ve probably interacted with a researcher by completing a survey, however there’s much more to user research than surveys. The discipline encompasses a wide variety of methods that generate a lot of unstructured data. User researchers create everything from rough notes to video recordings during usability tests, interviews, and contextual inquiries.
Our intuitive and affordable cloud software helps people inside businesses store and make sense of this unstructured user research data, capture and summarise their findings, and share that with relevant people inside the organisation. This helps our customers understand their customers, and therefore they build better products as a result.
Every single product or service organisation conducts user research of some form, in order to explore what new products they could build, or to understand what they could improve about existing ones. Our mission is that Dovetail becomes the go-to research platform for these organisations. We’re creating scalable, successful cloud software for user research, similar to what InVision, Slack, and Salesforce have done in their respective markets.
Our culture values responsibility and accountability, trust and openness, efficiency and speed. We’re all about sweating the details on delightful experiences, tackling ambitious technical challenges, and learning twice as fast as anywhere else. We’re extremely customer-focused, regularly talking with customers in-person, via email, or over video. Our company Slack workspace is even shared with over 450 end-users.
No founder dictators here. As an early employee, you will help us shape this culture. We’re building for a healthy, happy team where everyone believes in what they’re working on. We only hire excellent people that you’ll trust and learn from. We’re transparent in everything we do; regularly sharing product decisions, financials, and fundraising plans with everyone on the team, and even customers at times.
Dovetail has been growing rapidly since we first launched in late 2017. We now have hundreds of happy customers worldwide like Atlassian, Arm, BCG, Chargebee, CSIRO Data61, Deliveroo, Deloitte, Harvard, Elsevier, Freshworks, Kayak, Royal Bank of Scotland, Spotify, Thoughtworks, Uniqa, and many more.
We’re only hiring people that have the skill and passion to grow Dovetail from hundreds of customers to thousands. You need to be best-in-class with relevant previous experience, and you’ll need to get up to speed quickly with minimal training. Over time, you will help us grow our functional teams by taking on a management role.
As a Senior Developer at Dovetail, you will be expected to:
- Continually improve and evolve the existing feature set for Dovetail’s web product, including both “backend” and “frontend” development.
- Contribute new features written in programming languages like TypeScript Node.js, TypeScript React, Ruby, HTML, and CSS.
- Work closely with the CEO, CTO, other developers, external stakeholders, and customers to proactively gather and understand areas for improvement.
- Establish detailed guidelines and standards for product development processes based on industry best practices and your experience.
- Provide leadership for new employees and junior developers with established practices like code review, pair programming, design sparring, etc.
As a Senior Developer, ideally you should have:
- A few years of experience writing code at other startups or world-class software companies. You should be able to hit the ground running and manage entire teams as we grow.
- Recent, hands-on experience building the frontend and backend of web products with technology like TypeScript, React, GraphQL, Node, ProseMirror, and AWS.
- Practical knowledge of how to architect cloud services so they can scale to thousands of concurrent users worldwide (“web-scale” if you will!)
- An understanding of all roles involved in product development—from product management to marketing—and the ability to explain how each one adds value to the business.
- Excellent, concise communication so you can easily convey your thoughts, opinions, and feelings with other teammates, founders, and customers.
- The right attitude towards a sense of urgency, risk, and uncertainty about the future that comes with working at an early-stage startup.
- Experience articulating constructive criticism on architectural or design decisions beyond phrases like “I don’t like it” or “it doesn’t look good”.
- The ability to offer thoughtful opinions on important business decisions like fundraising, hiring, and establishing management structure if / when it’s required.
This is a full time role in Sydney, Australia. You must have the right to work in Australia to apply for this role. If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please get in touch via our contact form, and attach your CV.
- 251 Riley Street, Surry Hills, NSW, 2010