As a company with design so central to its DNA, our design teams play an integral part in the vision and success of our company. Our Digital Design team across Sydney and Manila is growing rapidly and needs a Digital Design Lead who will generate thoughtful design directions for a variety of projects, manage a tight team of multidisciplinary creatives, and provide direction on the execution of design deliverables of many kinds. You will be involved in all phases of a project, ensuring the quality of work is up to our high standards and exceeding strategic goals.
As our Digital Design Manager, you will be an integral part of Canva’s growth trajectory by working on projects with high strategic value and working on design and strategy across all the public facing platforms. Focussing on user acquisition, you will unlock the best experience for our users and continue the evolution of our brand and our design system.
You are a 'well-rounded' designer with core strengths across interaction, UI, visual design and people management. You will thrive in a fast paced work environment that requires strong problem solving skills and independent self-direction, coupled with an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication. You'll have a passion for understanding and defining the needs and behaviours of customers, and for working with the product teams and key brand stakeholders to create exceptional designs that serve the needs of our users.
The Digital Design Manager will share this passion with and inspire a tight team of designers to follow organisational best practices and deliver consistently on-brand, world-class design solutions. At Canva, successful designers have the opportunity to exercise and show off all their design skills, influence the design direction of the company and see their work go live on a regular basis.
You will ...
- Support the digital designers by putting in place the appropriate processes and workflows. You will look after the team’s performance, filling the skill gap when required with mentorship, guidance and elevate the skills of the team and support each designer in their career development.
- Ensure designs are addressing user and business needs. Assisting with strategy, and making sure the goals are in line with the company by collaborating across disciplines.
- Organise team brainstorms, internal critique or any other process to create a creative and healthy design space. Provide critical and constructive feedback and creative direction to designers.
- Coordinate effort to establish core brand look and feel, assets and UX patterns. Provide leadership on branding, brand style guides and help ensure all Canva communications stay on-brand and on-trend. Creating effective compelling user experiences to guide users through their journey.
- Foster the use of established UI/UX techniques through the creation of UI/UX best practices, including user testing, A/B testing, user research, data analysis. Ensure adherence to company standards across team members and/or projects. Contributing and helping build a data & user focus mindset to inform any design decision.
- Have a direct impact and work on acquisition and retention focussed design projects.
- Support Canva’s growth and help scale the team.
What we look for
- You have at least 5 years of experience leading and growing a design team and have driven them to create high-quality design work.
- A strong portfolio demonstrating your passion for designing clean, elegant, and beautiful designs; demonstrating interaction and visual design experience across brand, advertising, web and mobile web.
- Strong technical knowledge around web implementation (HTML, CSS, JS, React…)
- Proven understanding in user acquisition and retention. Good understanding of data tracking, user testing , A/B Testing, SEO and conversion optimisation.
- You have a history of developing strategies, setting up processes, and growing a creative team.
- The confidence to try new things as well as a passion for big ideas and storytelling.
- You demonstrate a high degree of judgement and can juggle a diverse range of priorities.
- You are able to influence and work with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Fitness membership allowance, plus free Yoga and Boxing Gym membership
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals for you and your family