At Canva, we create tools that empower the world to design. Our mission is to make design simple for everyone. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Launched in August 2013, our platform combines a drag-and-drop design tool that is used by more than 10 million active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 850 million designs (that’s 20 designs created every second). And we’ve only achieved about 1% of what we’re capable of …
The Role & Group
We are looking for a Global Head of User Acquisition to help drive our mission to empower the world to design by defining and executing on a strategic vision for Canva’s continued exponential growth via channels (current and new), products and models.
As Global Head of User Acquisition, you will play a critical leadership role across our growth marketing teams, building and leading specialists who bring new users and customers to our application and websites everyday. Going beyond just strategy and operations, you’ll have the opportunity to work with product teams and create solutions that ensure we create true growth loops that continue to grow our user base and revenue.
You’ll have the opportunity to build and lead our global team of dedicated growth specialists for the Canva platform, and inject growth thinking and insight into everything we do. This team is integral to acquiring high-value users, opening up new acquisition channels, informing product direction, and unlocking pathways to user growth through the application. As an important leader in the business, you’ll have full responsibility for the strategic and operational direction of the group. We see no limit to the possibilities of this group to continuously develop and we are looking for someone to help take us to the next level.
What you’ll do:
- Plan, create and execute industry-leading growth strategies that scale.
- Develop unique insights on our markets, competitors, and business trends around growth, and disseminate this knowledge and data across Canva to inform key decisions.
- Identify and drive new initiatives and channels that will have a huge impact on Canva’s growth.
- Devise and deliver the strategy to build and scale a world-class team of growth professionals in HQ and locations across the world.
- Build and lead a world-class global team (currently 80+) of growth professionals (SEO, CRO, Content Marketing, Performance Marketing, Digital Design, Engineers, Localisation, International, Mobile), dedicated to growing Canva through world-leading strategies.
- Set and instil a team culture that is driven to solve problems, understand the broader strategic opportunity marketing roles play across the business, and is driven to continuously raise the bar on what “excellence” looks like.
- Recruit and hire team members as needed to support a growing function.
- Use superb communication and interpersonal skills —both one-to-one and in small and large groups to clearly express ideas and influence others.
- Define, track and report on key performance metrics to determine goals, support effectiveness and efficiency that meet or exceed industry benchmarks.
- Be accountable for setting and meeting these KPIs.
- Work with key operational specialists in the group to make sure HQ and International teams have the right processes, frameworks and feedback loops.
Broader Business Goals:
- Champion the development of growth everywhere in the building – hold us all accountable to our growth goals.
- Develop a deep understanding of the product in order to develop unique strategies that leverage Canva’s USP and evolving goals.
Partner with Product Management to:
- Ensure ‘sustainable growth’ that yield high-value users.
- Develop product-based solutions that help meet users needs and unlock key growth channels around retention and revenue.
- Partner with Engineering to ensure key development work is prioritised and built in a timely manner.
What we’re looking for:
- A self-starter that thrives in ambiguity and a rapidly evolving business landscape.
- Strong quantitative reasoning and analytical skills, with an ability to see the big picture.
- A demonstrated ability to translate analytical findings into actionable recommendations.
- Someone who has directly driven complex strategic initiatives with meaningful business impact.
- Creative but structured thinker with a bias for action.
- An ability to balance growth initiatives, customer experience and commercial trade-offs.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and executive presence – ability to synthesise complex issues and communicate them as simple messages for customers, peers, and the rest of the business. Proven ability to influence, energise, develop and drive change.
- An enviable ability to understand and quickly learn technical concepts
- Grace under fire: ability to present to a range of audiences, deal with ambiguity, and demonstrate composure in stressful situations.
- Collaborative team player that can drive complex cross-functional projects with multiple stakeholders – bonus points for extensive experience working with Product and Engineering teams.
While we’re not prescriptive on where and how these skills were developed and honed, there’s a good chance you have:
- 7+ years experience as a strong growth marketing leader driving exceptional results.
- Expertise within complex, global consumer branding/marketing organisations.
- Experience building a team, preferably in a high growth environment.
- A track record of recruiting best-in-class talent and building high-performing, collaborative teams.
- An energy giver with a positive outlook and the ability to influence your direct team, peers, and senior leaders across all company functions.
- A natural team player, with a strong track record of cross-functional leadership and partnership.
- Very strong analytical skills with the ability to promptly establish priorities and communicate expectations.
- High emotional intelligence and empathy.
- A strategic leader with deep understanding of organisational effectiveness and a champion of efficiency.
- Experience and acumen to balance the subjective and analytical nature of the marketing work.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options.
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance.
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day.
- Free Yoga and Boxing Gym membership.
- Generous parental leave policy.
- Pet friendly offices including a garden, climbing wall, unisex toilets.
- Sponsored social clubs and team events.
- Fun and quirky celebrations.
- Relocation budget provided for interstate or overseas candidates and visa application (your partner will also receive full working rights) fees covered.