Since launch in April 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing more than 10 million users in over 100 languages - making us one of the world's fastest-growing technology companies. We were recently voted #1 in both the 2018 Great Place to Work survey. We were also recently voted #1 in LinkedIn’s top startups in Australia. With our recent $1,000,000,000 valuation and entry into the coveted technology unicorn club, we're firmly focused on ensuring Canva remains the go-to place for all design needs on the web.
In order to do this, we must ensure the whole of Canva's web experience and presence is top-notch, seamless, delightful to the customer, and built on a scalable platform and infrastructure to ensure resiliency.
We are hiring a backend-focused engineer to join our Web Engineering team, which is wholly responsible for the development, maintenance, and optimization of Canva's wide array of high-volume web portals and the underlying infrastructure. These include the Canva Homepage, Canva Design School, Color Wiki, Help Center, Careers Portal, Photo Tools, Marketplaces, Blogs, our global Content Management System and all of the infrastructure supporting those initiatives.
Among the many upcoming projects in the pipeline is a replatforming initiative that will bring in some of the latest technologies such as Node.js, GraphQL, Next.js, Docker, and related technologies -- to improve and build out the web engineering infrastructure.
In this role, not only will you be able to get your hands on a wide arrange of web technologies within a high performance team - you will also have an impact across the business while working with designers, business stakeholders, and other engineers to ensure we're creating, developing and continuing to deliver the rich web experience our users know and love.
- Backend-focused ownership of projects across Canva’s entire web presence including the design, development, and optimisation of the underlying infrastructure.
- Web backend infrastructure development utilising technologies such as Terraform, EC2, S3, Docker, ECS, Aurora, Elasticache, ElasticSearch, Nginx, Varnish
- Produce simple, efficient, reusable code – mindful of new technologies, paradigms, and development methodologies
- Management and optimisation of external plugins/services/dependencies of applications and infrastructure (i.e. servers, logs, caching)
- Build new services such as Search, API integrations, node services, WordPress plugins, etc
- Provide technical guidance to product and business teams across the company on the most effective ways of implementing desired requirements
- Maintaining and optimising existing products and portals
- Provide mentorship and guidance to new starters, graduates, and interns
- Participate in interviews, code reviews, and product planning / strategy activities
- Experience building complex and high-traffic based web portals, applications, and products
- Backend development experience with Node.js, Typescript, PHP, or Java
- Strong understanding of algorithm complexity, data structures, concurrency & systems performance
- Be able to demonstrate an understanding of operating systems, networking, and related protocols (especially HTTP, DNS, TCP/IP, SSL, etc)
- Bachelor of Computer Science or related discipline
- Experience managing small projects and coordinating across multiple offices and geographies
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Fitness membership allowance, plus free Yoga and Boxing Gym membership
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations