At Canva, we’re transforming the way the world designs. As we continue our journey as a scale-up, Canva is seeking engineers with a good blend of web development and corporate infrastructure to join us in our HQ in Sydney.
Stable, scalable, well-maintained systems are the foundation of our development and design processes and we want to bring that same thirst for excellence into our company technology operations. This is an opportunity to be the foundational member of Canva’s internal infrastructure team, playing a key role in the global expansion of one of the world’s most exciting technology companies.
Currently, in our Sydney HQ, we have over 400 people over 6 floors, conference rooms, multi-use presentation spaces, a cafeteria, and a rooftop bar and cafe. We have no plans to grow into a large corporate entity with layers of middle management and archaic processes - but instead, continue our progressive approach to the workplace, using engineering to codify the unique ways in which we work.
Our newest team member will be responsible for creating the tools that ensure we keep our culture of small self-contained mini-startups to achieve our crazy big goals. For example, we’ve built an internal app to help with introductions, onboarding, and open communication that automatically pairs up newbies on coffee dates with employees from a completely different side of the organisation - to help them understand the bigger picture. We’ve also got a pretty ambitious internal portal, but shhhh - we can talk about that later.
We have a roadmap and the ambition to work closely with our teams, create these tools to progress Canva’s culture and ensure we continue to scale effortlessly toward our mission of building an amazing suite of design tools that are a force for good.
- You will be responsible for creating, deploying and maintaining tools and applications that ensure we keep our culture of small start-ups achieving crazy big goals
- You will work with the broader business to identify and clarify processes that are getting in the way of making crazy big goals happen
- You will work in a broader team chiefly responsible for office infrastructure projects. You will also be responsible for the ongoing maintenance and improvement of systems such as the office network, video conferencing and user device security
Required Experience & Skills
- You have demonstrable production web app experience with Python/Java (required)
- You have experience with AWS and know how to run production apps on it (required)
- You have a solid understanding of networking fundamentals and have run office infrastructure projects before with a focus on scalability and automation.
- You have experienced processes that don’t make sense in a large organisation and have driven technical changes through the business to address these.
- You’re a champion of efficiency with a bias towards creating self-service solutions to issues encountered by users.
- You enjoy taking responsibility and claiming ownership of areas for improvement.
- You have the ability to adapt well and multi-task amidst changing priorities in a fast-paced and often ambiguous environment
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible daily working hours – we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and Yoga benefits
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat