Head of Industry Relations and Payments Partnerships, Australia at Square
Our mission is simple: we want to help people everywhere start, run and grow a business. We’re a fast-moving global fintech company building the tools entrepreneurs need to simplify and streamline every business process, from accepting card payments and online invoicing to inventory management, real-time analytics, employee management and powerful data reporting. Now supporting millions of businesses worldwide, Square is recognised as a leader in financial technology, currently rated third in Fast Company’s 2018 edition of the World’s Most Innovative Companies. As we continue to expand globally, we are looking to drive that innovation further by scaling our smart, dedicated and passionate workforce in new markets. Square was founded in 2009 by Jack Dorsey and Jim McKelvey and is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices now operating across the United States, Canada, Japan, the UK and Australia.
Square’s Payments is responsible for every dollar that moves through our bank partners, card networks, and Square's internal platforms and systems. The Payments team's mission is to make our customer’s experience across taking payments, closing the sale, and getting paid "remarkable", efficient, and cost effective. To that objective, Square must operate against a complex backdrop of industry partners and internal stakeholders to encourage flexibility, new standards, and openness to Square's innovation, products and services. The Payments team plays an integral role in crafting a diverse spectrum of solutions and capabilities for our customers, overseeing foundational industry and regulatory relationships and also the daily operations for incoming and outgoing payments.
This role will be key to Square's success in Australia and across the region. It is foundational to the development and expansion of our products in-market, including supporting colleagues across Business Development, Finance, Compliance, Risk, Counsel, Marketing, Operations, Product, Product Marketing, and Sales. This role is responsible for key industry relationship oversight and coverage, executing on our global payments strategy and leading our Go To Market programs. Focus of the role will be managing our relationship roadmap with acquirers, banks, card networks and industry bodies operating across the region. The position will be important to Square's international expansion and strategic industry relationship engagement strategy, representing Square's Australia business to regulators and industry influencers foundational to Square's success. The role requires exceptional cross-functional collaboration, leadership, knowledge of global and local markets, and extensive experience representing digital payments products. The role requires experience in commercial partnerships, payments operations, and supporting new product and service expansion into new markets against a backdrop of complex ecosystem role players. Relationships with such partners require strong cross-functional, internal collaboration with Global Product GMs and in-market teams, but also deep and extensive industry relationships. This position is full-time and based in Melbourne with 10% travel expected.
- Build and manage strategic relationships with payment industry partners
- Define and execute on a comprehensive global payments strategy for Square in the rapidly evolving mobile payments and card acceptance space
- Strengthen the influence and market position of Square's business and brand while fostering joint marketing and promotion opportunities with industry stakeholders
- Expand our partner and product footprint globally, accelerating the distribution of both new and existing Square offerings
- Understand Square's competitive position and implement programs to further and improve payments products, services and strategic objectives
- Lead and support management for Squares strategic industry initiatives, including fostering the partner engagement required to enable new products and platforms
- Maximise current partnerships through detailed and proactive account management, working with key industry partners, suppliers, and industry associations to define, iterate and enable new products and Go To Market strategies
- Research and analyse industry trends and opportunities for Square to further distinguish its position as it relates to its payments products and Go To Market plans
- Condition the expectations and dynamics of key industry influencers while managing external influences to optimise for the impact on Square's role in the ecosystem
- Act as a Responsible Manager for the purpose of oversight of the day-to-day business under our Financial Services License
- Deep experience and solid understanding of the payments industry and its evolution across Australia;
- Experience working in an executive capacity across functional business operations, and demonstrated responsibility for the day-to-day management and oversight of the strategic and operational decisions for the entity;
- Employment experience working in Australia for a legal entity operating under Australian law and for an Australia regulated entity for at least 3 out of the past 5 years;
- Employment experience working with non-cash payments (multi-party settlement, peer-to-peer payments or prepaid cards) for at least 3 out of the past 5 years;
- An ability to lead cross-functional projects and interact at all levels with diverse roles including engineers, business partners and executive leadership
- Deep analytical skills that enable analysis of new opportunities and nascent industry movements
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Strong relationship building skills coupled with the ability to develop consensus
- Understanding of the PSP business model and demonstrated performance in a regulated payments or electronic money institution preferred
At Square, our purpose is to empower – within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
More jobs at Square
- 246 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000