Research Associate at VOW
Job DescriptionApply to VOW
VOW is a food company, a very different one. We’re creating real meat products from animal cells, instead of the animal itself. We’re using the latest innovations in science, technology, culinary and design to bring entirely new food products and eating experiences to the world. But it doesn’t stop there, the work that we are doing is a critical step on the path to creating a future where the human race can exist in sustainable harmony with our surrounding earth. This is a mission we believe in deeply. In a few short months since our founding in April 2019 we’ve made significant progress and gained a lot of attention for a world-first we created: the first kangaroo meat cultivated in a lab. (Wall Street Journal, The Australian and Channel 9)
As a Research Associate at VOW, you'll be hands on in the lab working to overcome a number of challenges to make more ethical and sustainable meat possible. You will collaborate with scientists, chefs and designers to link cell biology and food together. Your work will quickly enable this cutting edge, world-changing biotechnology to scale a new food technology.
One day you’ll be working on primary cell culture and another you will be developing custom media formulations. Our problems are more than just discovery -- we’re growing real meat without any harm to animals. You will be working in a fast-paced environment on the nexus of automation, data science and biology.
You will work directly with our Chief Scientific Officer and other members of our small but growing team to do high quality science. You’ll be autonomous and empowered to find better ways to do things. A ‘hacker’ mentality, or non-traditional pathway into science are both a big plus for us.
What you’ll do
What you’ll do
- Spend your days asking ‘why?’ and finding more efficient ways to make things happen.
- Creating and maintaining mammalian cell lines.
- Formulating culture media.
- Performing and improving standard molecular and cell culture biology techniques.
- Rigorously recording and analysing data.
- Participating in and presenting results in internal meetings.
- Learn about cell biology, bioreactors and alternative protein.
In return, we will support you with
Weekly 1:1’s and mentorship from exec team.
Working tirelessly to give you an incredible place to work and a team that feels more like a family.
No legacy overheads: we’re giving you the freedom to help define the best approach to solving problems.
Massive room to grow in a really exciting, emerging industry.
High-stakes work that matters to the team and the world. A mission for you to sink your skills and passion into.
- Above all you are mission aligned: you want to apply your skills in science to build a better food system. For some of us this is about animal welfare, for others it’s saving the environment or caring deeply about developing incredibly delicious foods - all different perspectives on the same mission.
- You know your way around a lab and have experience with cell culture, microscopy and molecular biology techniques.
- You’re proactive and enjoy thinking about the big picture.
- You’re kind, curious and enjoy learning new things.
- You’re product focused. You think about the perspectives of end users even when it might not be expected of you.
- You care that you’re building something that solves a problem and helps end users.
Ultimately this role will be shaped around the right candidate: start dates, part-time or full-time, you tell us! If you love the mission and want to work on some of the most exciting and impactful problems on the planet today we want to speak to you.
Send us an email with a bit about who you are, along with your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Final remark: we think it's important to have a diverse workforce, so please don't hesitate to apply if you think or look differently. We actually like that. Come as you are :)
- North Parramatta, NSW, 2151